Does your home experience significant heat loss through its uninsulated walls? If so, give your home a facelift with external wall insulation – not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but the watertight insulated finish will provide your home with a damp-proof and thermally efficient finish.
Benefits of External Wall Insulation:
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: By reducing the amount of energy needed to heat your home, external wall insulation can help lower your carbon emissions, helping you to become more sustainable and carbon efficient.
- Improved Comfort: external wall insulation helps to maintain a more stable and comfortable indoor temperature by reducing drafts and cold spots, leading to a more pleasant living environment all year round.
- Enhanced Appearance: installing external wall insulation can transform the appearance of your home by providing a brand new, modern finish, enhancing the overall look of your property.
- Increased Property Value: with much improved energy efficiency and a more aesthetically pleasing property, external wall insulated properties can be more appealing to homebuyers, potentially increasing the value of your home.
- All-Weather Protection: this type of insulation provides a protective layer for the building’s walls, shielding them from the effects of weather and moisture, reduce maintenance costs and extending the building’s lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW EFFECTIVE IS EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION?
This type of solid wall insulation is extremely effective in improving the thermal performance of a property, particularly for homes which do not have cavity walls and are of a solid wall construction. This increase in thermal performance leads to lower energy bills, reduced carbon emissions, improved thermal comfort, better moisture control and the potential for an increase in the property’s value.
HOW IS EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION INSTALLED?
There are a series of steps involved in the installation of external wall insulation, which include:
Preparation of the Existing Surface: this involves cleaning the surface to remove dirt and ensure any cracks and defects in the wall are repaired to ensure a smooth substrate.
Fixing of Insulation Boards: first layer of external wall insulation involves attaching insulation boards to the external wall. These are typically made of compressed polystyrene and are attached to the wall using adhesives and mechanical fixings.
Reinforcement and Mesh Installation: once the insulation boards are in place, a reinforcing mesh is embedded into a base coat of adhesive or render. This mesh provides structural stability to the insulation system, distributing loads, and preventing cracks from forming.
Application of Base Coats: on top of the insulation and mesh, multiple layers of base coats including plaster and render are applied, serving to level the surface, creating a stable base for the final coat.
Finish Coat Application: the last stage of the installation process determines the final appearance of the insulated wall. The finish coat comes in a variety of decorative colours which usually includes acrylic renders, brick slips, or decorative cladding.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE ON ENERGY BILLS?
As with other forms of thermal insulation, the amount of money you can save is dependent on a variety of factors, which include the size of the property being insulated, the type of heating source you use and even which part of the country you live. The Energy Saving Trust publishes some estimates to show how much solid wall insulation could save you on your energy bills here. Typically, a detached house, could save up to £670 per annum, whereas a mid-terrace house, could save £230 per annum.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO INSTALL EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION?
The time it takes to install external wall insulation varies from project to project, with the size of the property, site access and the weather being the main factors. On average, it can take up to 2 weeks to complete external wall insulation for a typical property. Zing Energy can survey your property and provide you with a clear idea of the timeframes can you expect; and once agreed, we will carry out the installation via our highly skilled installation technicians.
HOW MUCH DOES EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION COST?
The cost of installing external wall insulation can vary significantly depending on factors such as the size of your property and the type of finish you want. The best way to get an accurate quote is to contact our team of experienced energy saving experts, who can assess your personal circumstances to see if you qualify for an energy saving grant, which can be used towards the cost of installation.