Green Homes Grant: All Your Questions answered | Zing Energy

Green Homes Grant

The Green Homes Grant was announced last month by the Chancellor as part of a mini-budget. There has now been an update meaning further details have been shared on how the scheme will operate. The £2billion Green Homes Grant is for landlords, homeowners and low income households to improve the energy-efficiency of their homes. Sadly it only applies to England. This means homeowners and low income households can claim up to £10,000 for a voucher for specific energy efficient measures to be carried out. But what are the full details, who can apply and how? Zing Energy answers your top questions. 

What are the details of the scheme?

Under the Green Homes Grant scheme, eligible homeowners can use vouchers issued by the Government to help pay for energy efficient improvements.  These measures include ‘primary measures’ such as external wall insulation and air source heating and ‘secondary measures’ like double glazing and smart thermostats. It is part of a £2bn pound fund, meaning householders can claim up to £5,000 towards any measures. Those in low income households will be able to claim up to £10,000.

What work will the vouchers go toward?

The measures that can be claimed for have now been revealed. They are as follows:

  • Primary measures
  • Solid wall, under-floor, cavity wall or roof insulation
  • Toward an Air source or ground source heat pump
  • Solar thermal ( this includes solar panels which can be used for heating water)
  • Secondary measures
  • Double or triple glazing/ secondary glazing, when replacing single glazing
  • Upgrading to energy efficient door
  • Hot water tank/ appliance tank thermostats/ heating controls

Although it doesn’t include boiler replacement, it is important to note other energy efficiency improvements like this can be claimed for by qualifying homes under the separate Government Eco scheme.


You can only claim for one of the secondary measures if you also install one of the primary measures. That means you can’t get money off double-glazing unless you’re also carrying out insulation or one of the eco-friendly heating measures at the same time. In the case of the secondary measures, you can only claim up to the amount you are claiming for the primary measures.

For example if you are claiming £2,000 for solid wall insulation, which is a primary measure, you can then only claim a maximum of £2,000 for your double-glazing, which is secondary.

Who qualifies for a Green Homes Grant?

The vouchers will be available to homeowners and landlords, but not tenants. For homeowners and landlords, the vouchers will be worth two-thirds of the cost of the energy efficient improvements, up to a maximum of £5,000 per household. Meanwhile for those in the low income bracket, the vouchers are worth up to £10,000 and can cover 100% of the cost. To qualify for the £10,000 grant you must receive one of the following:

  • Income based Jobseekers allowance (JSA)
  • Income based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • Child Tax Credits (CTC)
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Contribution based Jobseekers allowance (JSA)
  • Contribution based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing benefit

Does IT cover the whole of the UK?

The scheme currently just refers to England. At this stage it won’t cover homes in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Zing Energy will be making the case strongly to the Welsh and UK Governments as to why this measure should apply to the whole of the UK. Hundreds of thousands of citizens in Wales and the rest of the UK could benefit from the Green Homes Grant and we will be arguing for a level playing field for all. However there are other schemes that can be claimed for such as the Nest scheme in Wales. This means if you own or privately rent and are on benefits, you could get a free boiler or new central heating.

How does a measure like external wall insulation improve energy efficiency?

Insulation is the best way householders can minimise heat loss. It ensures your home stays at an even temperature throughout the year. If you simply turn up the heat in an uninsulated home, the heat will quickly be lost. Therefore by taking advantage of the Green Homes Grant householders can also reduce their fuel bills as well as getting the lion’s share of this energy upgrade paid for. Find out more about home insulation. The measures laid out can have a dramatic impact on lowering household fuel bills by up to £600 a year and reducing CO2 emissions.

When is the Green Homes Grant being launched?

The scheme launches in September. Later on this month, landlords and homeowners can visit the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website. This will provide advice about which energy saving measure would suit their property. Homeowners will receive lists of TrustMark or Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) registered tradespeople in their local area. Zing Energy is proud to have been accredited by councils throughout the United Kingdom. In advance of the scheme officially launching we are urging people to get in contact to register their interest. We can also advise on the best way to maximise the benefit from the scheme.

Once the scope of work has been agreed, the issuing of vouchers will start at the end of September. Tradespeople have to register for TrustMark or MCS accreditation themselves to take part in the scheme.

How do I claim my voucher?

When you log on to the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website to get advice, that’s also where you apply for a grant. Once a quote has been provided and the work approved, with an accredited company like Zing, the voucher can be issued. There have already been a series of scams reported connected to the scheme so it is vital home owners work with suppliers who can prove their credentials.

Keep checking this page for more information as it comes in. Please call our office 0330 808 4365 for any more information and register your interest by filling out our apply for a grant form.

Step 1 of 3

Emily and James creative