The cost of upgrading your energy infrastructure needn’t cost the earth! In fact, many householders are spending more money than they need each month due to poor awareness of schemes that can save them money.
What are energy grants?
Energy grants are payments towards making your home more energy efficient, which in turn, reduces fuel bills. There are a variety of grants available, and if you are on benefits, you almost certainly will qualify.
Grants may be available for any of the following:
- Renewable energy solutions – including air source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps and solar PV.
- Thermal insulation solutions – including external wall, internal wall, cavity wall, floor and roof insulation.
- Energy efficient boilers
What energy grants are available?
The Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
This scheme was set up by the government to reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty, obliging energy companies to improve the ability of low income, fuel poor households to heat their homes. The scheme covers heating savings such as the replacement or upgrade of inefficient heating systems.
There have been numerous changes to the scheme over the past few year, but luckily Zing employs some of the country’s leading experts. We can advise you on the latest updates and quickly establish whether you are eligible.
The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
The RHI is a UK government scheme set up to encourage the uptake of renewable energy. The scheme was designed to compensate for the difference between costs of installing and operating renewable heating and fossil fuel systems.
The RHI provides financial support to the owner of a renewable heating system for seven years.
It can cover:
- Biomass (wood fuelled) boilers.
- Biomass pellet stoves with integrated boilers.
- Ground source heat pumps
- Air source heat pumps.
- Solar thermal panels, providing hot water for your home.
And that’s not all…
- Winter Fuel Payment – A one-off, tax-free payment between £100 and £300. It’s available to those over Pension Credit age, so if you were born before 5 April 1954 you may qualify.
- Cold Weather Payment – A separate grant paid by the Government to older people and those on benefits. It applies if the average temperature is, or is, forecast to be – 0°C or below for seven days in a row (between 1 November and 31 March). This equates to £25 for every seven days of cold weather.
- Warm Home Discount – Was set up to help vulnerable customers in the UK pay for energy. By law, this scheme requires big suppliers to provide a £140 rebate on energy bills between September and March.
Energy grants for your business
A variety of schemes are available for businesses, incentivising them to go green. Take the Carbon Trust Green Business Fund for example – the energy efficiency support service for small and medium-sized companies in England, Wales and Scotland. It provides direct funded support through energy assessments, training workshops and equipment procurement support.
Apply for a grant and start saving today!
With the Government committed to net zero carbon emissions by 2050, we anticipate further and faster action towards meeting the target. The best way to achieve this is for householders to improve their energy efficiency. Zing’s promise is to deliver our customers the tools and expertise to do so.